[ Tutorial ]
[ Hot Topics ]
[ Case Studies ]
[ LOTO standard ]
[ LOTO preamble ]
[ Compliance directive ]
[ Selected case law ]
[ Selected letters of interpretation ]
Control of Hazardous Energy (Lockout/Tagout)
29 CFR 1910.147
What is the intent of the requirement for the employer to
conduct periodic inspections?
To ensure that the energy control procedures continue to be
implemented properly, that the employees are familiar with their responsibilities, and
that any deviations or procedural inadequacies that are observed are corrected. (c)(6)(i); (c)(6)(i)(B)
How often must the inspection take place?
At least annually. (c)(6)(i)
Who performs the periodic inspection?
An authorized employee not involved in the energy control
procedure being inspected. (c)(6)(i)(A)
What does the periodic inspection entail?
- The employer must identify any deficiencies or deviations and
- Where lockout is used, the inspector must review each authorized
employee's responsibilities under the procedure with that employee (group meetings are
- Where tagout is used, the inspector must review both the
authorized and affected employee's responsibilities with those employees for the energy
control procedure being inspected, and the additional training responsibilities of
- The employer must certify that the periodic inspections have been
What must the certification identify?
- Identify machine on which the procedure was utilized. (c)(6)(ii)
- Identify the employees included in inspection. (c)(6)(ii)
- Identify person who performed the inspection. (c)(6)(ii)
<<Previous Page | Next Page>>
Printer Friendly Version